12534 Caminito Mira Del Mar • San Diego, CA 92130
(858) 509-8930 • Mobile (858) 342-0998
A Senior Level Marketing professional and brand builder with over twenty five years of diversified experience in
marketing, product development, advertising, pricing, promotion and sales analysis. An "intrapreneur" who stimulates
team creativity and focuses resources on key objectives. Exceptional analytical, strategic planning and negotiation skills
complemented by strong "hands on" knowledge of media and creative production.
Objective: To grow businesses by combining my knowledge of competitive strategy with my diverse branding and
MICHAEL SICK CONSULTING- 2003-Present
Provided positioning, competitive strategy, branding,
product development, product management, packaging, advertising, media planning, PR, business development, channel strategy,
business planning and general business counsel services.
Software, Technology, Wireless, e-Commerce, Publishing, Pet Supply, Restaurants, Hotels, Web Services, Defense, Financial
Services and Customer Satisfaction.
• Provided marketing, promotion
and PR and launch strategies for the Army Reserves Family Services web portal targeted to family, friends and employers of
Army Reserve Soldiers. Wrote articles for Army Reserve magazine and monthly newsletter.
• Provided new product launch
plan, trade show support and developed US and foreign distribution relationships which resulted in 100% revenue increase for
a client in the pet supply industry.
• Managed marketing budget for Tacone Flavor Grill, a 30 restaurant fast casual
• Strategic counsel and content development for the University of San Diego's Executive Education
program which is in alliance with the Ken Blanchard Companies.
• Developed business plan, concept development and
site location services for a new restaurant concept.
• Provided business development and promotion services to a
software company that sells a customer satisfaction measurement service.
• Developed business plans, product development
strategies and business development for a software company looking to enter the wireless data market.
SYBRA, INC./LYON'S OF CA/ICH CORPORATION - San Diego, CA 1998 - 2003
Vice President of Marketing
Managed Marketing function for two operating divisions - Sybra, Inc.- the 2nd largest
Arby's franchisee with 239 restaurants and Lyon's of California - a 72 restaurant Family Dining chain. ICH (IH- AMEX)
was recognized by Nation's Restaurant News as the top performing restaurant stock in 1999. Lyons was acquired in December
of 1998 and divested in January of 2001.
• Operated a "virtual"
department with out sourced agencies, media buyers and designers across the country.
• Managed a $14MM budget for
the Sybra Division.
• Member of the Arby's Franchise Association's Core Brand Marketing Council. Recognized
for "Co-Op of the Year" at 2002 Arby's Franchise Convention.
• Developed the "Grandma Lyon's"
campaign generating record sales increases for Lyons of California.
• Launched over 12 new products.
ADEPT COMPUTER SOLUTIONS- San Diego, CA 1997 - 1998
Part time marketing and management role for the developer of "Street Wizard," a Windows
software mapping program.
• Developed all marketing activities including
Channel Strategy, Internet strategy, retail programs, licensing, sales management, advertising, PR, packaging and product
• Developed channel strategy for retail, B-B, Internet, third party developers, VAR's and licensing
• Participated in Retail Xchange, Retail Vision and the Microsoft CE Developers Conference to increase
distribution, establish strategic partnerships and to develop OEM strategies with hardware makers .
• Launched a
Street Wizard product on the Windows CE platform.
• Generated two consecutive record breaking quarters at retail
through authorizations at key chains.
EL CHICO RESTAURANTS- Dallas, Texas
1995 - 1997
Vice President, Marketing
Re-positioned 57-year-old brand to compete more effectively in today's marketplace and designed a business format capable
of accelerated future growth and profitability.
• Developed an R&D department geared to creation, testing and
implementation of new products three times per year into system and test restaurants. Launched over 25 new products.
Developed the "No One Knows Tex Mex Like El Chico" and "Tex Mecca"campaigns to leverage the heritage of
the brand in being the authentic authority in the Tex Mex casual dining segment.
• Participated in redesign of building
prototype to maximize impact of capital investment and appeal to consumers. New restaurants with redesign generate 20% greater
volume than the previous average and 50% greater than the prior management teams prototype.
• Tested and implemented
new menu designs that were well received by guests, operations and franchisees.
• Developed a top shelf margarita
line that won three awards in the first 90 days and increased overall beverage sales.
• Supervised R&D, advertising,
media, public relations and franchise marketing staff and outside agencies.
PEARLE VISION- Dallas, Texas 1994 - 1995
Vice President, Marketing
a department of twelve people and four agencies in the planning and execution of a $41MM annual marketing plan encompassing
advertising, media, promotion and field marketing.
• Developed the "Trusted
Leader" advertising campaign featuring Dr. Pearle that positioned Pearle as having a track record of better quality than
other chain competitors.
• Generated Pearle's first ever motion picture tie-in promotion with the Universal
feature, "Junior," featuring Arnold Schwarzenegger wearing Dakota Smith frames.
• Secured national exposure
for Pearle by negotiating a four minute "eyewear fashion" story on "Main Floor," a syndicated television
magazine following Good Morning America.
• Streamlined the print planning process to reduce time and costs by 30%.
• Created the broadcast launch of Pearle's "Micro-Thin" poly carbonate lens.
• Developed and
presented coop guidelines in order to better communicate to the retail channel and the optometrists what marketing support
• Interfaced with the lab, distribution and purchasing to insure proper support of retail channel.
JACK IN THE BOX- San Diego, CA 1986 -1994
President, Field Marketing & Promotion
Responsible for development of marketing programs and media plans on the local,
regional and national level.
• Made significant contributions to achieving
over a 90% increase in system sales since 1986. This includes unit expansion of almost 500 locations and a number of quarters
with double digit same store sales increases. Comp sales for 1986 - 1992 averaged 5.7%.
• Introduced more than 40
• Led a department of 18 people and executed a $54MM annual marketing budget. System sales were $1.1BB
through 800 company-owned and 400 franchised locations.
• Led the field marketing sales recovery efforts after the
1993 E-Coli crises and achieved in nine weeks what it took Johnson & Johnson one year to achieve after the Tylenol poisonings.
• Developed of new marketing entry plans resulting in record breaking opening sales.
• Initiated a change
in the franchise contract increasing the marketing contribution from 4% to 5%, which resulted in an increase of $8MM per year
in marketing resources.
• Turned a cost center for field and franchise local support materials into a branded, "Sales
Builders", profit center with over a $100K contribution to overhead.
• Created a sales building culture in
the organization through the development of a local marketing workshop, a new marketing manual and a "Marketer of the
Year" recognition program.
• Developed a regional promotion strategy that generated $5-7 MM in media exposure
• Served as the marketing contact for existing and prospective international franchisees.
Developed tie-in promotions with "Home Alone II," "Dennis the Menace," "Star Trek Generations"
and other motion picture releases.
CORPORATE SCENARIOS- Fountain Valley,
CA 1986 - 1986
Provided promotion consulting services for
Hardee's Restaurants, New World Entertainment, Coca-Cola and various retail clients
WELLS, RICH GREENE ADVERTISING- Los Angeles, CA 1985 - 1986
• Managed the sales promotion and field marketing functions for the "Jack In The Box" account.
JACK IN THE BOX- El Monte, CA 1982 - 1985
Zone Marketing Manager, Southern California
BURGER KING - Costa Mesa, CA 1981 - 1982
Manager, Los Angeles, Hawaii
Participated in the launch of the "Battle of the Burgers" - Flame broiling beats
PIZZA HUT - Albany, NY 1979 - 1981
Regional Marketing Manager
New York/New England
Tested and rolled out Pan Pizza.
& ASSOCIATES ADV - Santa Monica, CA 1978 - 1979
Serviced Kentucky Fried Chicken advertising
cooperatives in Southern California, South Florida and San Antonio.
DIRECTIONS ADVERTISING - Liverpool, NY 1975 - 1978
Managed advertising agency with accounts that included
Nite Clubs, the Mystic Mt. Ski Resort, musical groups, restaurants, a toy store and a telephone retailer. Handled all facets
of agency operations including media buying, copy writing, art direction, production and client service.
OTTO PREMINGER PRODUCTIONS - New York, NY 1975 - 1975
1976 SUNY Buffalo. BS Business Marketing/Finance
Harvard Business School, Strategic Marketing Management - Executive Program
1975 New York University, Institute of Film